Burp Cloth Tutorial
2 20" x 14" birdseye 3-ply cloth diapers*
2 20" x 5" strips of cotton fabric (pieced or whole)
coordinating all-purpose thread
*I found mine in the baby section at Walmart.
Note: You are basically going to make a tube out of your fabric and diaper and close it much like the Baby Blanket I posted the other day.
Use a 1/2" inseam.
1. Lay your fabric strip right side down on top of your diaper, and align the edges. Sew them together on the aligned edge.
2. Now line up the other two long edges, keeping the cotton fabric right side down. Sew that side together just like you did in step 1.
It should look like an open-ended tube when you hold it up (shown below).
3. Lay your tube out and center the fabric strip. You should have the same amount of white on either side.
Press your seams in toward the fabric strip.
4. Sew one side of your tube completely closed (shown below). Sew the other side the same way, but leave a 4" gap in the middle of your seam for turning. Be sure to backstitch on either side of your opening to strengthen it for turning.
5. Turn your burp cloth right sides out and tuck in the edges of your opening.
6. Topstitch around the fabric strip in the middle about 1/4" away from each seam. Be sure that your stitches close the opening you left for turning.
Note: When your needle comes 1/4" from each corner, leave it in the down position, raise your presser foot, and rotate the cloth counter clockwise. Continue stitching.
And there you have it! Super simple and super cute, too! Enjoy!
If you make some, let me know! I'd love to see pictures!