Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tote Bag Review

My mom recently asked me to make a tote bag for her that would stand up on its own.  Now, I call myself a quilter in the strictest sense of the word, i.e. I don't really sew items that aren't quilts.  I knew that I was going to have to find a pattern to follow...no winging this project or designing it as I go. 

Here's the result:
This bag's pattern comes from Amy Butler's book Little Stitches for Little Ones.  The book is really beautiful, and I just love flipping through the pages to see the lovely projects she has in there.
However, there are lots of words in the instructions and not nearly enough pictures, which made it a difficult project for me.  I had to learn a lot of things as I went along...things I would have known if I had been an experienced seamstress, no doubt.  Before two years ago, I don't think I had ever even touched a sewing machine.
It took several days for me to complete, but I have finally done it!  It feels good to know that I can successfully follow a pattern.  My last attempt to follow a pattern for something other than a quilt resulted in a pile of fabric in my trash can, and I don't throw away fabric; that's just how mad it made me!

It doesn't stand up as well as the photographs in the book indicate, but it's not totally floppy either.  I think I'll go ahead and call it a success.  I think...

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I think it looks really nice! You did a great job! I have no clue how to sew. Other than quilts, I'm at a loss! I've never done a pattern (except for quilts) and I'm sure I'd screw up big-time.So I don't even try! Friends of mine laugh at me me when I say I can't sew. But quilts are different, they are easy (for the most part)b/c it's all just straight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it would make a great diaper bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO cute! I agree...it looks like it would be a great diaper bag, or really any bag. I love the bright color on the inside! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it, its a very 'grown up' bag. I bet your mum is pleased. juliex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just LOVE Amy Butler! And Anna Maria Horner... do you read her blog? I am sure you do.

    It's weird, I have this sewing obsession and read the blogs and buy the tools and look through books, but I can't sew worth a darn! I need to get myself in sewing lessons. This bag is adorable.

    (War Eagle!!!!)

    ReplyDelete