Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sketchy Stitchy Applique Take One

So yesterday, I decided I needed to try something new in my quilting, so here is the result of my first attempt.  I think it could have been a lot worse, to be honest.  After about 4 or 5 more practice runs, I'll be ready to make something cute!  
The duck-ish bird in the lower right-hand corner was my first bird, and he's a pretty sad little guy, but the rest aren't so terrible.  
This is the back.  I really like the fact that this method of applique is like quilting as well.  It adds something unexpected to the finished product.  I used thicker bobbin thread for the two darker birds, but I wouldn't recommend doing that.  It does make them stand out more, but the stitches look weird.  I'd just use a solid or subdued print for the backing fabric.  Now, I have to go back to binding my WIP from last week.  Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Those are so great! I love the sketchy quality of the stitching, and the bird shapes are really lively. Can't wait to see what you make with this technique!

    ReplyDelete