So yesterday, I decided I needed to try something new in my quilting, so here is the result of my first attempt. I think it could have been a lot worse, to be honest. After about 4 or 5 more practice runs, I'll be ready to make something cute!
The duck-ish bird in the lower right-hand corner was my first bird, and he's a pretty sad little guy, but the rest aren't so terrible.
This is the back. I really like the fact that this method of applique is like quilting as well. It adds something unexpected to the finished product. I used thicker bobbin thread for the two darker birds, but I wouldn't recommend doing that. It does make them stand out more, but the stitches look weird. I'd just use a solid or subdued print for the backing fabric. Now, I have to go back to binding my WIP from last week. Happy Tuesday!